Wednesday, January 6, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

Good Morning,
I thought it would be a good idea to clarify a comment I made in my previous blog concerning the impact of exercise. I actually commented that exercise is both over-rated and under-rated.
Now, those of you who know me, know that I enjoy exercise. I am somewhat limited by torn cartilage in my left shoulder and deteriorating cartilage in my left knee, but that hasn't stopped me from enjoying good exercise. It just limits my choices somewhat. Having said all that, why would I say exercise is over-rated?
I think a good way to see what I'm saying is for me to say that exercise can not reveal what diet has covered up, but diet CAN reveal what exercise has done. Exercise is absolutely critical for cardiovascular health. It improves blood flow. It improves muscle elasticity. It improves strength. It improves basal metabolic rates. It enhances concentration. It enhances insulin sensitivity. All these things are not only good for you, but, in general, if not over-done, make you feel good.
However, the truth of the matter is that it is nearly impossible to out exercise your diet! I work out about 6 hours a week, sometimes a little more, sometimes less. However, that adds up to only about 3000-3500 calories a WEEK (or about 1 lb of exercise/week). I am more than capable of eating 3000+ calories each DAY!!! Needless to say, it would take a huge volume of exercise to lose weight if I didn't control my diet.
On the other hand, cutting 500 calories a day from my usual diet (the equivlent of 3 sodas daily) amounts to 3500 calories each week. That is the pound a week that most experts say is appropriate. Not only that, but cutting 500 calories is not NEARLY so exhausting as 6-7 hours of exercise!!
So, as you make your new year plans, plan appropriately. If your goal is to lose some weight, cutting calories by making smart food choices is critical. Exercise will make you look good, but only if your diet doesn't cover up all your good looks!

No comments:

Post a Comment